Thursday, September 23, 2010

House Sitting - Day 5

There hadn't been anything to exciting to report...until today!

I went out and fed the horses and checked them over for any major scrapes. Everyone was aok!

About 2 pm I am sitting at my computer typing away on a story, when I catch movement out of the corner of my eye. I look up and there is a gray horse grazing in the yard. I lean forward and count an additional three more horses chowing down on the yard. I take that back three where eating the lawn while the fourth was busy dumping the bird seed out of the feeders and licking it up!

Don't panic!! So I tell myself as I walk out to see where they had made their escape. All gates are closed and locked except the one in the barn and I was the last one through it! But I know I closed it and locked it, I swear on a stack of bibles!!

Round up time! Let's see if I open the gate that is behind them then walk around and get in front of them they will turn and go straight into the field, right?

 WRONG!!

They headed for the open gate, then at the last moment the made a hard left, running in front of the house across the drive and into an open field. My saving grace is that the entire property is fenced and unless they jump the cattle guard they were not going any where.

Well, by now I knew that I needed help. Willa!! Nope she isn't helping she is on the porch rooting for the horses!!

I jumped into the Artic cat and rounded them up. I pushed them towards the still open gates, but they all split and went back to the little field.

Plan two: open the other set of gates to the field they seem to want to get into! Gates open, driving them forward, two went in two stayed out and went into the other field!!

Sigh, of course the weather isn't helping. The wind is blowing and all four horses are doing half rears, tossing heads and bucking!

I make a quick descion and lock the gate on two of my runaways. Buy the time I get to where the other two are they have come back out of the field and are now grazing peacefully next to the barn. I park the Artic cat and walk slowly to the gate. I just know Baily is going to turn tail and run but I step aside and in she goes with on last squeal and buck. Her partner, Traveler seeing that the gig is up kicks up his heels and gallops into the field. I shut the gate.

 No one was injured during the romp!

I then went back through to make sure that all gates were latched. Closed the gates that needed to be closed open the one that need to be open.

And where is Willa? Happily rolling in a fresh pile of manure!!
Willa Playing with one of the Big Dogs, Zip.

No comments:

Post a Comment